Enbridge Takes a Piece of Albatros Offshore Wind Farm

Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge Inc. will acquire 49.89 percent of the shares in the 112MW EnBW Albatros offshore wind farm project, while EnBW will retain the remaining 50.1 percent.

Source: Siemens Gamesa

The final decision on construction and investment in the 16-turbine project was taken by the Supervisory Board of EnBW at the beginning of May.

Enbridge and EnBW are also partners on the neighbouring 497MW Hohe See project. The two wind farms will be constructed together.

The agreed participation model envisages that both partners will jointly oversee and finance the further realisation of the projects from construction through to commissioning.

EnBW will control and monitor all activities during the further realisation of the projects. Enbridge will co-develop the projects with its own employees who will be integrated into senior roles in the project team.

EnBW will be responsible for the operational management and maintenance of the finished wind farms based on a long-term service and management contract.

Albatros is located in the German Exclusive Economic Zone of the North Sea in the immediate vicinity of the EnBW wind farms Hohe See and He Dreiht on an area covering 11 square kilometres.

The wind farm will feature 16 turbines of the Siemens SWT-7.0-154 type.

The project already has binding approval for connection to the grid and will now be constructed together with the Hohe See wind farm, which was approved in December 2016, to deliver a total capacity of 610MW.

After the scheduled commissioning of the wind farms in 2019, Hohe See and Albatros will together generate around 2.5 billion kilowatt hours of electricity annually.