UK: RenewableUK Announces Energy Awards Shortlist
RenewableUK, the trade and professional body representing the wind, wave and tidal energy industries, has announced a shortlist of nominations for the association’s inaugural Energy Awards.
More than five hundred guests, including business leaders and politicians, will attend the awards ceremony at a hotel in central London on 27th June.
A member of the panel of judges, RenewableUK’s Director of Policy, Dr Gordon Edge, said:
“The standard of nominations was extraordinarily high, which made the shortlisting process extremely difficult. There are so many companies, organisations and individuals working hard to build Britain’s new low-carbon economy. It’s right to recognise those who are giving us a secure supply of clean energy, creating tens of thousands of jobs and giving us long term protection against the price shocks associated with fossil fuels. These achievements deserve to be highlighted, celebrated and rewarded”.
The 10 awards categories, including nominations, are:
1. Renewables Campaigner Award – recognising excellence and leadership in the movement for public support for renewable energy.
- Zero Carbon Britain 2030, Centre for Alternative Technology
- Energy Transparency Campaign, Vestas Wind Systems
- Paul Rea, Chair of the Fenland Green Power Co-Op
2. Community Engagement Award – exceptional and innovative practice in community engagement and involvement.
- Hyndburn Wind Farm on Oswaldtwistle Moor
- yes2wind – engaging communities, encouraging support
- The Natural Resources Planning Team, Cornwall Council
- West Coast Energy and Corse Hill Wind Farm
- Rampion Offshore Wind Farm community consultation, E.ON UK
- Mainstream Renewable Power – Neart na Gaoithe Offshore Wind Farm
3. Product and Innovation Award – recognising a company which has invested in an innovative product or process to take forward the renewables industry.
- Delivering a “twisted jacket” foundation for Round 3’s first Met mast, Siemens
- The Pelamis ‘P2’, Pelamis Wave
- Innovative and cost-effective solutions to create greater grid capacity for renewable energy, Smarter Grid Solutions
- Aquamarine Power’s Oyster wave energy technology, Aquamarine Power
- The WindFloat Prototype Project – Floating Foundation for Offshore Wind Turbines, Principle Power
4. Community Project Award – an outstanding renewable energy project developed in close partnership with the local community.
- West Coast Energy and Cairnborrow Wind Farm
- Allt Dearg Community Wind Farm, SmartestEnergy
5. Large Project Award – exceptional achievement in a large scale project during all stages of its development.
- Ormonde Offshore Wind Farm, REpower, Vattenfall, Offshore Design Engineering Ltd, FoundOcean
- Fullabrook Windfarm, ESB Wind Development
- Walney Offshore Wind Farm – the world’s largest offshore wind farm, DONG Energy
- EMEC: The flagship project of the marine renewable industry
- Wind Turbines at Distribution Centres, Tesco
- Positively Mabey, Mabey Bridge
6. Lifetime Achievement Award – the contribution of an outstanding individual who has made the development of renewable energy their life’s work. (Details to follow).
7. Politician – recognising a UK politician who has made an outstanding contribution to the promotion of renewable energy over the last twelve months.
- Peter Aldous MP
- Rt Hon Nick Clegg MP
- Rt Hon Edward Davey MP
- Laura Sandys MP
- Dr Alan Whitehead MP
8. Trainee of the Year – an individual who has demonstrated outstanding results.
- Richard Watson, REpower UK
- Mike Smith, RES Ltd
- Stafford Butcher, CTruk Boats
9. Health and Safety Award (in conjunction with The Crown Estate) recognising outstanding best practice and performance. (The award winner, E.ON Climate and Renewables, was announced at RenewableUK’s Health and Safety conference in February. It will be re-presented to E.ON at the Awards ceremony on 27th June).
10. Corporate Social Responsibility Award (in conjunction with Renewable World) recognising a company demonstrating leadership and excellent practice in corporate social responsibility across their business.
- Infinis – Six Years of CR Innovation
- Earth Wind & Hire
- Lime Search
- Natural Power
Offshore WIND staff, May 22, 2012; Image: ebookers