Orange Blue Terminal Eemshaven Scores Hohe See and Albatros Contract

The Buss Orange Blue Terminal Eemshaven has signed a contract with GeoSea for port logistics services of 87 monopiles and transition pieces for the 497MW Hohe See and the 112MW Albatros offshore wind farms in the German North Sea.

Image for illustrative purposes only. Source: EnBW

GeoSea is expected to begin the transport of the foundation components by barge from the plant in Rotterdam to the Orange Blue Terminal in Eemshaven, the Netherlands, in mid-April.

The monopiles and transition pieces will remain aboard the barge along the quayside of the terminal until they are picked up by the installation vessel, according to the Buss Group.

The terminal will use a landward crane for the unloading of the 87 anode cages, as well as for the subsequent loading of the installation vessel with the anode cages and grout containers. For this operation, OBT will use crane equipment enabling a load out directly onto the jack-up vessel, which requires an outreach of approximately 50m. Barges will gradually transport the anode cages, monopiles and transition pieces to Eemshaven, the company said.

In addition to the quay and the berth for the installation vessel, the Orange Blue Terminal will provide GeoSea with storage and office space, as well as terminal equipment, while Buss Offshore Solutions will support the terminal in the planning and the management of the project.

Martin Schulz, Managing Director of Buss Offshore Solutions, said: “We have already worked together with GeoSea in the projects Borkum Riffgrund 1, Godewind 1 and 2, Racebank and Merkur and appreciate the professional and trustful cooperation. We will also support GeoSea in this project with an efficient port logistics solution.”

Swire Blue Ocean’s wind turbine installation vessel Pacific Osprey recently installed the first monopile foundation at the Hohe See offshore wind farm. Offshore construction began at the Hohe See and Albatros offshore sites earlier this month, with the commissioning of the wind farms scheduled for 2019.

The Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge Inc owns 49.9% of the shares in both projects, while EnBW holds the remaining 50.1%.