Siemens Gamesa and MHI Vestas Rule Offshore Turbine OEM Realm - Report

Siemens Gamesa and MHI Vestas control the global offshore wind turbine original equipment manufacturer (OEM) sector with more than 60% cumulative share expected by 2023, according to recent research from Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables.

In order to win market share from competitors, GE must focus on commercialising the Haliade-X 12MW-220 wind turbine in forthcoming auctions, Wood Mackenzie said.

Within the Chinese offshore sector, the top four offshore turbine OEMs - SEwind, Goldwind, MingYang, and Envision – command more than 90% of the market, leaving just under 10% for other turbine OEMs.

With a strong regional presence in Guangdong - the largest offshore province in China and responsible for successful positioning of the 5.XMW platform - MingYang now resides among the leading turbine OEMs, according to the research.

“GE’s 3 Haliade 150 turbines became operational in Fujian, China in 2018 and the company’s plans to set up a manufacturing facility in Jieyang, Guangdong indicate serious intentions in a market dominated by domestic OEMs,'' Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables principal analyst, Shashi Barla, said.

“Goldwind remains the China’s undisputed leader due to track record, product reliability and supply chain dependability. However, Envision emerged as a shining star in the Chinese OEM competitive landscape thanks to a focus on low wind and ultra-low wind speed segments.” 

Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables expects consolidation to creep into the Chinese market, as Tier II/III Chinese OEMs begin to lose ground in competitive auctions. A similar process has occurred among the western turbine OEMs during the last four years.

Related news

List of related news articles

Posted: 4 months ago

Spain's First Offshore Wind Turbine Goes Into Operation

The 5MW Elisa prototype, Spain's first offshore wind turbine, has officially been put into operation...

Categories:
  • Wind Farm Update
Posted: 4 months ago
Posted: 4 months ago

Norvento Begins Testing New Offshore Wind Turbine Prototype

Spanish energy engineering company Norvento has begun conducting validation tests of a new offshore ...

Categories:
  • Technology
Posted: 4 months ago
Posted: 3 months ago

Hitachi and Eco Power Unveil Offshore Wind Venture in Japan

Hitachi Zosen Corporation and the Tokyo-based Eco Power Co. Ltd. have established a joint venture co...

Categories:
  • Business & Finance
Posted: 3 months ago
Posted: 3 months ago

MHI Vestas Rules 8MW+ Turbine Realm

Wind turbines rated 8MW or higher comprised more than 40% of offshore order capacity in 2018, with M...

Categories:
  • R&D
Posted: 3 months ago