ABS Europe Ltd
The primary function is to develop the ability to effectively examine and report on vessels and other marine structures during and after construction relative to compliance with the applicable requirements for maintaining the vessel in Classification with ABS and meeting associated statutory and special service requirements related to Safety of Life at Sea, Loadline, Tonnage, Cargo Gear and Pollution Prevention Certification.
What You Will Do (with the assistance and guidance of an experienced ABS Surveyor):
- Acts as a professional specialist for the organization in the application of related rules, regulations, requirements, concepts, principles, and processes.
- Performs routine surveys on classed vessels, platforms, or other marine structures and at manufacturers for classification and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Prepares technically accurate and timely reports of inspections and surveys performed.
- Engages in contact with clients to resolve problems within areas of expertise.
- Maintains survey files in an orderly and up-to-date manner in the area of responsibility.
- Develops the skills necessary for the administration of office procedures and monitoring of business performance at an assigned port.
- Through broader and more technically challenging work assignments, the individual must develop a thorough understanding of field operations, policies, methods, and procedures.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- Qualifications from a tertiary institution within a relevant field of engineering or physical science (minimum two (2) years program); or
- Qualifications from a marine or nautical institution and relevant seagoing experience as a certificated ship officer, and
- Proficiency in the English language commensurate with the scope of statutory certification and services and, before assignment, with their future work.
- Appropriate certification and/or licenses in areas of specialization may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of ABS Rules, Guides, statutory regulations, and related instructions, as well as the ABS Employee Safety Policy.
- Ability to read engineering plans and have a basic understanding of shipbuilding practices and vessel operations.
- Ability to perform surveys in the prescribed format.
- Knowledge of computer programs or software packages related to job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of related technical interfaces required for group project work.
- Knowledge of ships' engineering systems and machinery.
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, pertinent information relative to assigned area of technical expertise.
- Ability to analyze problems and propose solutions.
- Responsiveness to customers and the ability to work well with others.
- Ability to become familiar with the ABS Health, Safety, Quality, and Environmental Management Systems.
- Hold a valid right to work in the Netherlands/EU.
Nice to have:
- Be able to communicate in Dutch language.
Will report to the Principal, Senior, or Surveyor-in-Charge of the assigned port. This position does not have any direct reports.
Travel to and from survey sites and manufacturing plants going aboard various marine vessels, offshore platforms, or structures. Some work may be performed in an office environment. Some work may be performed in confined spaces, and it may be necessary to climb vertical ladders of various heights, and construction staging of various heights. The use of small tools and the wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), in accordance with ABS safety procedures, may be required.
We set out more than 160 years ago to promote the security of life and property at sea and preserve the natural environment. Today, we remain true to our mission and continue to support organizations facing a rapidly evolving seascape of challenging regulations and new technologies. Through it all, we are anchored by a vision and mission that help our clients find clarity in uncertain times.
ABS is a global leader in marine and offshore classification and other innovative safety, quality, and environmental services. We’re at the forefront of supporting the global energy transition at sea, the application of remote and autonomous marine systems, cutting-edge technical solutions, and many more exciting advancements. Our commitment to safety, reliability, and efficiency is ever-present, guiding our clients to safer and more efficient operations.
ABS Bureau is committed to the equal employment opportunity of its employees and prohibits discrimination against any employee or qualified applicant based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status, or other non-work-related characteristics that may be protected under the law of the Federal Government or specific state employment laws.
ABS and Affiliated Companies (ABS) will not pay a fee to any third-party agency without a valid ABS Master Service Agreement (MSA) authorized and signed by Human Resources. Any resume, CV, application, or other forms of candidate submission provided to any employee of ABS without a valid MSA on file will be considered property of ABS, and no fee will be paid.
This job description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job of the incumbent. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements essential for making a fair decision regarding the pay structure of the job. #ogjs